As I was doing my daily shopping on blogs for the next best idea - I found it! I almost fell out of my chair... really. I have always loved the look of roman shades, but the affordable kind you can buy at Target never seem to fit my windows. I am no seamstress. I own a sewing machine, and much to my mother in laws dismay, I have never even turned it on.
I was scared to use hem tape until a few weeks ago!
I'm over it. Hem tape is a breeze.
So anyway, back to shopping. I found on a few different blogs some brilliant ladies (I think Little Green Notebook was the original genius) made roman shades out of their blinds.
I will take credit for (on my very own) coming up with spray painting my blinds - but I can't take credit for this complete stroke of genius.
Here's what you do:
First, you take down the nasty ugly blinds you currently have which are a nice sturdy faux wood that someone either made into a really light natural wood color, or that used to be white and had yellowed over time. Make sure you let your blinds all the way out before taking them off
Next, I marked which slats would stay. I kept every sixth slat.
Then you'll want to cut the horizontal strings (the vertical strings are the lift strings). Don't cut the horizontal strings on the slats you are keeping.
Next you will take your bottom piece off (remove the plastic plug) and slide off all the slats.
I need to find some creative way to make something fabulous out of these left over slats. They are pretty sturdy. Let me know if you have any great ideas.
For my fabric, I used blackout liner (to keep that baby good and asleep during nap time) and then just a plain white sheet.
Measure your window and cut your liner to the exact size of the window (with some room at the bottom just in case).
Then if you're fancy and know how to use a sewing maching, I guess you could attach your fabric to the liner - however I used my fabric glue :-)
Then with my hem tape, I attached ribbon five inches in from each side:
Then turn your fabric upside down and place your blinds on top
Then glue your slats down on your fabric (being careful to not get any glue on the strings so that it will still operate). I did not glue the fabric down to the bottom piece, I just let it hang because when I reattached the plugs I had to put new knots in the cords, which then made the bottom piece a bit short for the window, oops!
Flip the slat over and glue it, then flip it back.
I ended up painting the decorative piece at the top of the blinds then reattaching it, but you could leave it off. This window would look a TRILLION (yes, a TRILLION) times better with a casing around the window, but there is no room! I should have planned for that when I made the shelves to the right of the window. (which are not done being "merchandised" yet)
I couldn't believe I could actually do this without cutting something I wasn't suppsed to, or gluing something I wasn't supposed to. I was sure that they wouldn't be operational. But I was okay with that because we have a nice view of the house next door but...
They are fully functional!
I am a few steps closer to my vision. Now I just need to put together some home made bookshelves, get a toy box, and put up a mirror for him to play in!
Here are some tutorials that are probably WAY better than mine: